Monday, September 26, 2005

Pre-Serenity Blogging



I'm signed up for one of the upcoming Serenity premieres. After I see it, I'll post a non-spoiler and a spoiler review.

For what it's worth, here are my early thoughts on Serenity. Joss Whedon is a creative, original guy with a real talent at coming up with quirky ideas, at inspiring his actors to go an extra mile, and at writing funny dialogue. He is actually not very good at writing tight plots or final acts, but he has some good writers working for him, so that usually doesn't show.

Of the three shows he did, Buffy, Angel, and Firefly, I think he picked the right one to make into a movie. There was a lot more story to tell in Firefly, and the larger ensemble cast might set up some better plots. Based on Whedon's record, the movie could be great, or could suck, but I suspect great - otherwise they wouldn't be doing the advance previews.

Now to earn my wages. The movie guys demand that I link to the Serenity promotional website, and that I include the following synopsis.

Joss Whedon, the Oscar® - and Emmy - nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE, ANGEL and FIREFLY, now applies his trademark compassion and wit to a small band of galactic outcasts 500 years in the future in his feature film directorial debut, Serenity. The film centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, Serenity. He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family –squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal.


Ok, that's done. I'll be back once I've seen the movie.