Monday, February 07, 2005

Moyers and Watt, Part 3



Powerline has written something pretty close to the definitive wrap-up of Moyers' sloppy work. In particular, Powerline contributor John Hindraker spoke to Secretary Watt, and Watt confirmed that he has never, at any time, spoken anything like the quote Moyers attributes to him. I can only think of one thing to add to Powerline's analysis.

Specifically, with regard to the alleged Watt quote ("when the last tree is felled, Christ will come back"), the latest word on sourcing is Loren's conversation with Austin Miles. As I wrote last week, Rev. Miles has told Loren that he recalls Secretary Watt making the quote on a PTL broadcast. Although I'm sceptical that the quote was ever made, it's pretty hard to prove or disprove something like that without some kind of records from the PTL. I'll leave that to a real journalist, or a more enterprising blogger than me. At a minimum, however, it seems to me that anyone peddling the "last tree" quote should at least disclose that Secretary Watt has categorically denied making any such quote.